Women may be the ones that go through “the change” however partners are the ones that are there for support. Very often they known very little about what their partner is going through, and how they can help, or if they can help. This lack of knowledge places strain on the relationship. This post will help all the partners out there understand what their significant other is going through, and how they can help.
What are the symptoms:
- Mood Swings
- Hot Flashes
- Night Sweats
- Vaginal Dryness or Loss of Libido
- Memory Lapses
- Breast Pain
- Changes in Body Odor
However not every women will experience all of these symptoms. Similarly, there are some symptoms not listed that they may experience as well.
Here is what you can do:
- Don’t make fun of menopausal women
- This may seem like common sense, but even jokes aimed at the menopause can diminish the validity of what your partner is going through.
- Validate that symptoms are real
- Menopause is such an under-discussed topic, understand that her symptoms, whatever they are, are real.
- Support new interests
- This is a time of change, she may finally have the courage to pick up a hobby that she has been wanting to try for decades.
- Remain faithful
- Yes, your partner is changing, and yes, it is a difficult time. However your relationship must grow and change as well.
- Ask questions, really listen, and respond
- If you don’t understand something, or want to know more about a topic, as your partner! She will be thrilled to help you understand what she is going through.
The Things she wants to tell you but cant/wont:
- This is hard for me
- Its not me, its my hormones
- I’m still attracted to you
Also check out the following websites for further advice!